Wednesday, June 20, 2007

AT&T Austin Downtown Crit

This past weekend we had one of my favorite local events take place. The AT&T Austin Downtown Criterium unfolded on Saturday, June 16th with many pro's from around the country flying in to race our bumpy downtown streets.
Among those were some of my buds from Abercrombie & Fitch who I was able to attend a training camp with in the spring of '06. Mark Hekman who is leading in the US Crit Series points was joined by Rich Harper who was looking sleeker than ever after losing his fro. Brandon Gavic who is new to the team was also there proving his worth as he worked plenty to help Hekman retain his lead in the points, even after crashing on the 2nd lap of the race.


Hekman recognized as series leader


Rich Harper and Mark Hekman strike a pose with local fans


I set up a booth at this race to see exactly how our "triathlete designed" bags would be received by the genuinely "roadie" crowd. I'm happy to say that we scored big! Really, I didn't have any doubt but Marcin, as humble as he is, was not sure they would be so accepted. Not only were they accepted, I was asked by a very familiar pro team executive director to consider sponsoring his team with our bags and water bottles!

Jen McRae won the women's pro race. Her daughter Henna in matching kit is my son's officially unofficial girlfriend. She regularly beats my son Niko in the kid's race on Thursday nights. Niko didn't race the kids race downtown due to recovering from walking pneumonia. He was bummed of course, but I did get to take him around the course between races later in the day on his new bike that I got through my friend at Masi/Haro, Tim Jackson.

These wonderful pictures are by local photographer Rick Kent. Thank you Rick!

Cheers!

No comments: